Saturday, October 3, 2009

Namaste Beads

My journey into Craftiness continues!
 Here I am, modeling a pair of earings that I made All By Myself yesterday.
It should have been easy. I took apart a couple of old bracelets, used their beads, and wired it all together with my handy dandy jewelry tool (tiny, round-tipped plier things). Should have been simple. Yet, I quickly discovered why beaders/beadists/beadophiles(?) need those sticky little pads to rest their beads on. My beads were rolling all over the floor and the cats were chasing them and Noah was chasing the cats.
It was chaos, really.
I learn as I go with most things in life.
Can you see them better in this picture?
Perhaps I should have taken off the sunglasses.
These earrings have four small green beads, and a bigger turquoise bead in the middle.
There is a story to that goes with the turquoise beads. When Michael and I still lived in Gainesville and were going to school at UF, we were just starting to get into Eastern Religions and Yoga. We visited a Buddhist church/temple to hear a monk speak about Love and the Buddha. It may have been a Valentine's Day event. My friend Sandra may have gone with us. I'm not sure. I do remember enjoying the presentation he gave. But more than that, I remember admiring the architecture of the church. Beautiful wooden beams jutting towards the sky. An entire windowed-wall overlooking a path leading to a lush, mossy, green forest. Serene.
Anyways, the monk, and his entourage were hawking their wares afterwards. I remember being shocked when I saw their fold-out table in the foyer with necklaces and bracelets and semi-spiritual books for sale. I was under the impression that monks were minimalistic, that they were above and beyond the Material World. And I was disappointed in the monk. I may have clicked my tongue or shook my head disapprovingly. Then I felt guilty for being such a judgmental bee-otch...so I had to BUY SOMETHING (to assuage the guilt, of course). I bought a bracelet with turquoise beads...hand-crafted by materialistic monks.
The End.
Namaste! ; )



No comments:

Gray Sea

Gray Sea