Sunday, January 31, 2010

No Snowshoe Rentals Today

When we arrived at  the Beaver Lake Nature Center today, we were greeted by a sign that read,
"No Snowshoe Rentals Today- not enough snow."
Well, excuse me, I beg to differ. But apparently, they only rent snowshoes when there's 10 inches or so
(Oh, silly us! We Floridians learn something new about this wonderland daily).
Still, Michael, Noah, and I made the best of a cold winter's afternoon by hiking the trails.
We were extremely bundled and waddled along as best we could.
The sun was bright.
The snow was a-sparklin'.
The tall tall trees creaked like a front porch rocking chair when the wind swept through.

I was looking for animal tracks, but mostly found cross-country ski lines cutting across the landscape.

But some creature ambled through here.


And some delicate beast intersected itself perhaps?


My husband left me a love letter in the snow.


These graceful ladies have learned to be flexible under the snow's burden.


Some wear wooly coats of crunchy moss and twig. 



We take a short respite.


There's Beaver Lake- frozen- behind me.


Noah and Michael are looking tired and cold.
Time to head home for hot cocoa and a nap.

Snowshoe next time?



 

No comments:

Gray Sea

Gray Sea